Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"The Church Still Needs Baptists"--article in Baptists Today

The August 2009 issue of Baptists Today includes my guest commentary "The Church Still Needs Baptists" (p. 28). Here's a snippet from the lead:

"During the past several years, my work as a Baptist theologian has focused on ecumenical theology--theology that serves the quest for the visible unity of the church.

In connection with that I have given much attention to helping Baptists be critical enough of the shortcomings of our own tradition that we can appreciate and receive the gifts other churches have to offer. But during this year's quadricentennial celebration of Baptist life, I'm finding myself thinking more and more about why it's important to the rest of the church that there continue to be Baptists within it."

If you don't subscribe to Baptists Today or otherwise have access to it through church or library, this issue will be available as a PDF file on the Public Back Issues page of the Baptists Today web site--in about five months. I'll post a link here when it's posted there.

No comments:

Post a Comment